Sunday, October 17, 2010

All ears

Hey.. I have not been posting a lot on favorite songs/songsters/composers these days. To me a day without some music is a day incomplete. Just thought of these three songs which I have been listening to repeatedly for the past few weeks. I have been performing them with my heart inside out on my PG's terrace where my mobile becomes the mike and the vast night sky, the audience:)  

1. Mere chehre ki dho nishaaniyaan - God, Rahman... You must have got up directly from your prayers and composed this one:) It's got a divine touch end-to-end. More often than not you come up with an ethereal melody like this that mizzles on one's heart leaving it fresh ... Halki si baarish huyi sooki zindagi par...(A light shower on my barren life) ... Sonu Nigam pulls it off really well( If it was sung by another proficient singer also I would have liked it, might be. But Sonu Nigam brings in the emotion in those lines (which I think will be more evident after the release of the film) to the fullest , especially I thought this line of the pallavi... ' Is phone ke saas par, meri awaaz bhar, mujhpe hasthi hain khamoshiyaannnnnnnnnn' and also all those endings, meherbaniyaann/badhgumaniyaann/nishaniyaann. And Abbas Tyrewala, I just can't wait for the release of your  movie. And what a songster you are!! Janne tu remains to top my playlist even today, equally for the lyrics and music. Jhoota hi sahi album is also unfolding before me in the same way. Been listening to only 'Cry Cry' and 'Dho nishanniyaan' though, can't get enough of this one itself...:)

2. Pookal pookum tharunam aaruyir paarthadu yaarum ilaye - I can just write the lyrics of this song at a stretch. Na. Muthukumar pens beautifully , here are some of the best wordses of recent times in the lines of first love. ' Enna uravu idhu edhuvum puriyavilai endra pothum idhu neeludhe (What relationship is this, not able to understand it but still I am hanging on to)...Yaar endru ariyaamal, peyar kuda theriyamal ivan odu oru sondhum uruvaanadhe(Haven't known him, but still a nameless relationship is building its way)... Yen endru ketkaamal, valithaalum nirkamal ivan pogum vazhi engum manam pogudhe(Without asking why's, without stopping even if it hurts, my heart is going his way)...' Harini, where were you this long.? Your voice hasn't changed even a shade though. Mesmerizing like always. Roop Kumar Rathod, what a singer! When he sings 'Poonthalure...'  it touches all chords of my heart. Some singers have a niche with love songs, Rathod is one such. Pookal pookum is as beautiful as his Khamosh raath(an all time fav number). G.V. Prakash has composed it really well. Those Andrea's english verses and the Thaana thom thanana...thaana thom thanana... are really sweet. 

3. Maavin chottile manam ulla maduramai, manadharil kulirunn yen baalyam(the smell and sweetness of the mango of childhood days )- A beautiful melody that brings in nostalgia for a keralite especially. The first time I heard this song was on TV,  Swetha Mohan sang it for some Singapore Asianet show . Me and mom were enjoying each line of it. It was sprinkled with freshness throughout. Mom's eyes lightened up as she articulated incidents of her childhood days relating to the lines in this number. It's so beautifully written and so well sung by Sweta(singer Sujathas daughter). It's composed by M.G.Sreekumar(singer turned composer). 'Niramaarna sandhya maanju, mazhai ulla raathri poyi... innum marayatha mazha orrma yen balyam'.(The colorful evenings have shaded out, the rainy nights are all gone, just those showery memories of my childhood are left behind). 

Happy listening... Life is beautiful... :)

No comments: